Friday, December 29, 2006

The ears and eyes

When "The Family Stone" came out in theaters, I wasn't much interested. The promos for it looked silly so I figured I'd save my money. However, it came on InDemand the other night, so I decided to give it a whirl. I'm really glad I did. It was very sweet and funny. I was surprised, however, how sad it was, in parts. I cried, a bunch.

On the audio front, I bought Gwen Steffani's newest effort, "The Sweet Escape." I've loved everything else she's done and was excited to see that she had a new album out. However, I was very disapointed when I listened to it. It seems she's trying out all kinds of new sounds, most predominately more of a hiphop, rap feel, which I'm just not that into, or if I were, I wouldn't chose her as the delivery device. She still has a fabulous voice, that manages to shine through. So, I think that one will probably start to gather dust pretty quickly while I continue to listen to LAMB over and over.

Another CD I got was Corinne Bailey Rae's self-titled album. I saw her on, I think, Boston Legal, and wanted to check out the rest of her work. I LOVE this album! It's smooth and soft, but leaves you feeling mellow and jazzy. She's got a wonderful voice that is similar to Norah Jones, but not the same. It's very familiar, almost like Billie Holiday. I'm going to make a copy for my dad tonight.

No comments: