Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day

Today I was helping my little brother look at apartments.

At one apartment complex we discussed rent with the manager, a lady in her late 50s, early 60s, well-dressed and very cheerful.

About five minutes into the conversation a man in his 30s walks in the front door and heads right to her holding a beautiful bouquet of roses. I watched while he smiled, handed them to her and then hugged her. I couldn't see a familial connection so I was trying to figure out if they were somehow seeing each other.

She laughed as she sat down and started to tear up. She looked up at us and explained that she had the best son-in-law in the world. She said that before dying a few years ago, her husband had secretly made her son-in-law promise to always get her roses on Valentine's Day from him.

She radiated happiness while she told us this. She then shook herself and got right back to explaining rates and electric bills, but before she could get through two sentences she'd started to tear up. She had to excuse herself for a minute, then she went back to business.

I thought this was probably one of the sweetest things I'd ever witnessed on Valentine's Day, or any other day for that matter.

No comments: