Sunday, October 02, 2005

All purled up with no where to go

OK people, I need some suggestions. Unlike Pants, I'm not asking the hard-hitting questions like "What ring-tone should I get?" That's already a given, I'll be using "Sex bomb" by Tom Jones. My query is a bit more knotty, literally. When I was very little, my grandma taught me to crochet.

Nothing fancy, but I could chain like a mo-fo, and, in fourth-grade moved on to single and double stitches. I was mass-producing the coolest scarves in the world. All sorts of colors and yarns, but they all had the same stitches. Borrrringg.

So in college I taught myself to knit by reading Web sites. I thought this could be my out, I could finally start doing crazy bags or ponchos for my dog. Not so much. For some reason knitting just seems to take even longer than crocheting, so I've gone back to the crocheting.

In the past two weeks, I've done two scarves, a manly blue one for my brother and a shorter, thicker one that has a slit on one of the ends so you can pull the other side of it through for my mom. I'm going to add some beads that pick up the color later, to "fancy" it up a bit, but my yarn imagination is reaching a stretching point. I need help people.

Does anyone know of any good, simple instruction books for crocheting or knitting? Any good places to take classes? I've found that I learn this kind of thing best when someone just shows me how. I'd love to get into doing sweater, cardigans, bags etc. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hi! I can refer you to some places but I'm not sure what part of OK you're in. There are nice shops in OKC, Guthrie, and Norman that I have shopped in and/or taken classes from. There are also a number in Tulsa, although I can't speak to their quality.

Poppy said...

I'm looking for things in the OKC area, I'm thinking it'd be fun to take a class or two.